March 16, 2023
SUMMER JOB OPPORTUNITY IN HERITAGE/CULTURAL FIELD
Position: Collections Assistant/Technician
Project: Collections Storage Solution Upgrade
The Canadian Centre for the Great War, a Montréal based heritage collection and research centre operated by The Vimy Foundation, is seeking a Collections Assistant/Technician for a 4-month period (May to August). Reporting to the Collections Manager, the Collections Assistant/Technician will assist in upgrading the storage solutions of the Centre’s collections, which includes being responsible for inventory entries, preservation and storage. Please note that due to the nature of the tasks, this is not a remote position. The candidate will be expected to work at the Centre, in Montreal, for the whole duration of the position. YCW-HO may reimburse some transportation costs in accordance with established policies.
The hourly rate for this position is $21-24/hour, for 34 - 37.5 hours per week.
Please note that this is a Young Canada Works position and that it is therefore subject to funding approval.
- Transferring of artefacts out of non-museum/archival quality containers into new appropriate storage;
- Attend all necessary orientation and training sessions;
- Build additional custom preservation housing based on samples set by Collections Manager;
- Create and attach labels/tags with QR codes/barcodes to the correct artefacts or containers;
- Collaborate with volunteers in the arrangement and storage structuring;
- Assist with data entry in inventory application and collate additional data if needed.
- Participate in team activities including daily check-ins, weekly project meeting, alpha and user testing of new software
- Currently enrolled and will be returning next school term in the following field of study – museology, applied museum studies, information science, public history; or related area such as anthropology, archaeology, fine arts or equivalent demonstrated experience.
- Entry-level experience with artefact handling with basic understanding of material composition and short/long term effects of environmental factors; some previous experience working with museum/archival grade materials/supplies such as ethafoam, padding, fabric, coroplast etc.; demonstrates consistent skills in material handling (cutting, scoring, folding) for creating preservation housing
- Basic understanding of database operations; confidence in using various devices ( ie. computer desktop, touchscreen) and learning new software applications; basic experience with microsoft excel or related software such as google sheets or apple numbers.
- 1-2 years of related experience and/or activities within a museum or or heritage organisation is preferred.
- We promote equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Students, Visible minorities, Youth.
This is a Young Canada Works job posting. In addition to the minimum job requirements, applicants must also meet the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for the position. You are eligible if you:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
- have registered as a high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and intend to return to studies during or after the YCW work assignment.
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
If you qualify, please visit young-canada-works.canada.ca to register as a candidate prior to submitting your application to the Great War Centre.
Interested candidates can email a CV and cover letter to Ada Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications is 15 April 2023
Check out our products in our boutique
View All Products